Friday, January 18, 2008

dewey's, cleveland heights

okay, so dewey’s is one of my happy places. it's located right around the corner from where we live, and i can’t seem to get enough of it. there’s no bad day that an edgar allan poe (sans Kalamatas, please) and a glass of vino at dewey’s can’t fix. here are the things i love about dewey’s, in no particular order:
1) the toppings. anywhere that will allow me to put pesto on my pizza is very dear to me.
2) the crust. it’s slightly sweet and so very tasty!
3) they serve a friendly by-the-glass selection, and it doesn’t feel like they’re taking advantage of my thirst for a glass of wine. i would pay more for a glass, but i dont want to, and they don’t make me.
4) their salads. never overdressed. excellent dressings.
5) my husband would want me to mention something about the beer. he drinks beer; i drink wine. it’s hardly an original arrangement.
6) they let you do half-and-half pizzas! you can even have one-half red and one-half white. how fun is that?
7) the staff. a super-friendly and laid back team.
8) the pizza window. this window is a special piece of brilliance. we took my nieces and nephews to dewey’s. they’d been with us for approximately one hour of the 24 that would constitute our big sleepover, and we were already exhausted. we got to dewey’s and were told there was a 20 minute wait. we had no idea how we were possibly going to entertain the small fries, until we remembered (ta da), the pizza window! prop the little sweet potatoes up on some chairs in front of the window, and they will be mesmerized at LEAST until you are led to your table. the pizza tossers in the back are a hammy crew who know how to please a crowd of children. they’ll throw flour at the window or dough at one another, both options sure to delight the under-10 set.

i confess. at dewey’s, i have a go-to feast. i have a very hard time switching it up because the below combination is such a sure-thing delight. that said, they have many delicious pizza options, and every once in a while, i am forced to move outside of my comfort zone. but tonight i will be sticking with the combination that makes me so happy that i can’t remember why i don’t actually live at dewey’s (drum roll)....

the (standard) feast:
*vino: my current favorite glass of wine on offer at dewey’s is the urano malbec, from argentina. $5.50 for the glass, a little bit berry, a little bit pepper, and delicious.
*the house salad: toasted pine nuts, goat cheese, dried cranberries, fresh greens, and dewey’s (exceptional) house vinaigrette. you should be eating this right now, too.
*pizza: as i mentioned above, i freaking love garlic. so, here we go, please make my half a white pizza with the following toppings: red onion, pine nuts, pesto, and whole roasted garlic. get in my belly!

i never leave room for dessert, which is a shame because something tells me dessert at dewey’s would make me very happy.

overall:
i think i've already said enough. i will summarize thusly: i heart dewey's.

http://www.deweyspizza.com/

No comments: